“They didn’t know how to market me….”
“They didn’t know what to do with me….”
How many times have we heard GREAT artists say this?! Well as for me, I’ve heard it more times than I care to hear anymore. It is important for an artist to be surrounded by the right team that is willing to teams go that extra mile to push quality artists to the mainstream. Just because an artist does not fit into a specific mold does not mean that their career has to suffer and miss out on a promising chance. With that being said, artists must be receptive of constructive criticism and understand that they have a team of professionals who are experienced and knowledgeable in their craft.
As a team member, here are some ways to ensure that all avenues are being taken when getting your client/artist to the next level:
- Research: Understand your artists’ audience and potential fan base and how they respond to various marketing messaging.
- Understand your artist: You can’t market your artist without having a clear understanding what type of artist he/she is striving to be
- Trial and Error: Every campaign, advertisement, and idea will not work each time. Learn from what works and what doesn’t and move on to the next.
- Challenge yourself: It’s best to keep yourself on your toes and not only push your artist but yourself to the next level.
As an artist, here are some ways to help your team get you to the next level:
- Be open: Just because your team’s vision may not be in line with your original concept doesn’t mean you should automatically shut it down. Listen and compromise to make the most out of your career.
- Show who you are: It’s hard for marketers to get you out to the world without you being true to yourself as well as others. Your don’t have to open up with your life story however don’t be a closed tight book.
There are a few tips to help you get to the next level so that years from now your story wont being and/or end with “They didn’t know what to do with me, so I sat on the shelf.”